free web stats
Your free online newspaper for Merseyside...  

Read our Tracking & Cookie Usage Policy

Email | Latest edition | Archive | Terms & Conditions

Business Index Search


 

Navigation

 

Latest Edition
 

Back to Archive


Please beware that this is an archived news page.


This page has been archived as a historical record only.

ALL OFFERS / DEALS ARE NO LONGER VALID WITH IN THIS NEWS PAGE

Some features and links on this page might no longer be functioning.
 



© 2000-2013

PCBT Photography

Southport Reporter® is the Registered Trade Mark of Patrick Trollope.

Get your Google PageRank

 
 
 
Southport Reporter® covering the news on Merseyside.

Date:-   10 July 2006

Your news... Your words...

Email us your stories and news!

Southport Continental Market July 2006

GERAUD Markets UK Limited, has confirmed the Rendez-vous for the second Southport Continental Market of 2006 in Lord St from 14 to 16 July 2006. The new Continental Market for 2006 promises to be bigger and better than ever. The market will consist of over 40 traders from France, Germany, Holland, Italy, Slovakia, Poland, UK and Spain offering a wide range of Continental goods.

Products on offer include fruit, vegetables, cheeses, craft items, jams and preserves, olives, antipasties, German/Polish/French bread, Dutch plants plus many traditional dishes to take away such as Bavarian Sausage, Slovakian roast pork, garlic potatoes, crepes, waffles and toasted baguettes.

The market will operate from 9.00am Friday to Saturday in Lord St and finish at 5.00pm. On Sunday the opening hours will be from 10.00am to 5.00pm.

Groupe Geraud Deputy Chief Executive, Tony Fraser, said;- “Geraud Markets is proud of the authentic cosmopolitan feel it is able to create in its Continental Markets. Our dedicated Speciality Markets Team is constantly striving to broaden the range of goods on offer whilst ensuring that the quality is representative of the best of European Markets. We believe that our Continental and other Speciality Markets will become increasingly popular and successful events, providing the City with unique alternative shopping experiences.”

New era at Ormskirk as Independent Sector Treatment Centre to open by end of year

THE Department of Health last week announced that it has chosen BUPA as its preferred provider to run a new Independent Sector Treatment Centre (ISTC) at Ormskirk & District General Hospital. This is a very positive move for the Trust, as it strengthens the position of Ormskirk & District General Hospital and will generate income for the Trust.

Jonathan Parry, Chief Executive, said:- "We are really pleased that this announcement has been made, as we believe this will be a great benefit to both local residents and the Trust. This is not a sell out to the private sector; it is working in partnership with the private sector to get the best advantage for both the Trust and the residents of West Lancashire, Southport & Formby and indeed further a field. This is a win, win situation; the Trust will get income, patients will have a further choice of where they can have their treatment, and waiting lists will come down."

Although details are still being finalised, the ISTC will commission support services from the Trust, such as x-ray and pathology and discussions will now begin with BUPA to develop detailed Service Level Agreements for the services that the Trust will provide. The location of the ISTC is also yet to be finalised but it is likely to be the current empty F Ward. These arrangements will deliver an estimated 1,000 surgical cases per year at the hospital with the potential for increased activity by attracting work from other areas.

Mr Parry continued:- "The provision of ISTCs is a Government initiative led by the Department of Health. It is intended that 10% of all operations will be done by a private provider, although at no cost to the patient. By securing a centre at Ormskirk we will prevent work travelling out of the area to one located elsewhere. The Government is committed to its programme of ISTCs around the country and to have secured one in Ormskirk & District General Hospital is a boost to the whole area."

Airport Passenger Figures on the Up

FIGGERS released on 6 July 2006 show that almost half a million passengers used Liverpool John Lennon Airport in the month of June.

A total of 452,269 people travelled through the airport, this is an increase of 9% compared to June 2005, and is above the national statistics* for passenger increases at all other UK Airports.

The increase in passenger numbers follows the addition of a range of new flights, with ten extra scheduled destinations are on offer to passengers compared with this time last year. Regular services to Bergerac, Carcassonne, Galway, Gdansk, Kerry, Londonderry, Marseille, Porto, Riga and Seville have all been introduced since June 2005 with airlines including Are Arran, easy Jet, Ryan air and Wizard.

With the traditional summer get away still to take place in July and August, the Airport looks set to break all records again. Passengers from throughout the Northwest and beyond are taking advantage of the many low cost flights to destinations across Europe. In particular, the number of new services to France and Ireland mean that a quick hop across the channel to visit relatives or take a short break has become even easier from Liverpool.

Only the day before, the Airport announced it’s first scheduled long haul flight to New York with Flyglobespan, who will also fly daily to Tenerife and Prague from Liverpool later this year.

Robin Tudor, General Manager, Corporate and Community Affairs said:- “The rising number of passengers choosing to use Liverpool is testament to the great range of low cost services right across Europe and soon to include America. Increasingly, we are finding that people are now able to take more breaks rather than the historic one holiday a year tradition, thanks to the great deals available from Liverpool.”

* Source CAA Statistics June 2004 to 2005

ATTITUDES TO CASH COULD COST THE FAMILY DEAR

TODAY'S parents don't talk cash with their kids, which could be denying them money in the process, according to the Learning and Skills Council.  It seems that money is the ultimate taboo with close to 86% parents admitting they don't discuss their finances with their children - and 1 in 4 cannot see how talking about their finances could benefit their offspring.

Yet, keeping quiet about their income could mean that parents are causing their eligible teenagers to miss out on weekly Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA) payments if they stay on in learning at 16.  EMA is available to young people at college, school 6th form centres, and some work based learning providers for a variety of retake, academic and vocational courses including LSC funded Entry to Employment (e2e) and Programme led Apprenticeships.

Young people can apply for EMA now by logging on to www.direct.gov.uk/ema,  calling 0808 10 16219 or by picking up an application form from their school, college, learning provider or their local Connexions centre.  The LSC is today urging parents with an annual income of up to £30,810 (in tax year 05/06) to let their 16 to 19 year old children know that they may be eligible for EMA if they remain in education or training after 16. They should apply quickly so they start receiving payments as soon as they are eligible to receive them.

With EMA, 16-19 year olds can earn up to £30 a week, and there are bonuses if they do well on their course or learning programme, and meet certain targets, agreed with their teacher, tutor or provider when they start.

Staying in full-time learning can also benefit the family as they remain entitled to other benefits, such as Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit worth up to (60) per week.
The LSC found that 4% of parents are embarrassed by their small household income and 16% believe their earnings should remain confidential.

Yet this lack of communication could mean parents are costing their children up to £30 a week while they are learning through EMA. Other studies have shown that 41% of parents find it difficult to pay for their teenagers' needs, the financial boost that EMA provides is essential. Over 400,000 learners have accessed EMA this year and the LSC is keen to extend this to more young people in the future.

Trevor Fellowes, Director of Learner Support at the Learning and Skills Council, which operates the scheme, said:- "We understand the concerns parents have when it comes to talking about money with their children, but it does mean that many young people could be missing out on EMA payments; simply because they do not realise they are eligible to claim.  We are urging young people and parents of 16 to 19 year olds to apply now and find out if they are eligible for EMA, in advance of the new academic year that starts in September. EMA is available on many different courses, including GCSE retakes and vocational or academic courses at school or college. We have also extended the scheme to include young people on LSC funded Entry to Employment (e2e) or a Programme Led Apprenticeship.

We know that by 2010 very few jobs will be open to young people who don't have 5 GCSEs A* to C grades, or the equivalent. But the good news is that there have never been so many ways to achieve this minimum level of qualifications, learning is free and EMA can help many young people to do this."


In order to apply, young people need to follow this procedure:-

1. Pick up an application form from school, college, learning providers, Connexions personal advisers or by calling 0808 10 16219 or by logging onto www.direct.gov.uk/ema.

2. EMA is paid directly into a young person's bank account, therefore if they haven't got an account, they should set one up and obtain a statement in their name or ask the bank to fill in the relevant part of the application pack to verify the account.

3. Parents/carers need to fill in parts of the application form and provide evidence of household income in the previous financial year 2005/2006. This will normally be the 2005/2006 Tax Credits Award Notice (TCAN) from the Inland Revenue. Some parents/ carers may need to send in a P60 (for employed parents) or SA302 (for self-employed parents).

4. Once the form is correctly completed and returned to the Assessment and Payment Body, a 'Notice of Entitlement' will be sent to the young person, which will explain how much the young person can receive when they enrol on a valid programme of learning at school, college or training provider and start attending regularly.

5. The young person should take the 'Notice of Entitlement' to their school, college or learning provider when they start their programme of learning and sign an 'EMA contract' agreeing to be paid in return for regular attendance and commitment to their course.

Top 5 reasons why parents don't talk to their children about their finances:-

It never comes up in conversation (42%)

Don't think their children need to know their income (35%)

Don't see how talking about their income could benefit their children (25%)

Believe their earnings to be confidential (16%)

Too embarrassed because their household income is small (4%)

17 Year Old Charged with assault

A 17 year old man from Skelmersdale has been charged with causing grievous after an assault in Southport on 19 March 2006 left the victim of the attack in intensive care. The 17 year old was charged with bodily harm and with causing racially aggravated grievous bodily harm. He has been bailed to appear at North Sefton Youth Court on 11 July 2006.

Email Us Your News Now

Get Skype and get calling today!  Then you can call us for FREE from any location in the world via your PC! Our radio station phone in message line...   Call us now!